Chief of US military meets with officials in Afghanistan to discuss surge of insider attacks

August 21, 2012 7:11 AM 0 comments
Source: Associated Pres

KABUL, Afghanistan — The U.S. military’s top general met with senior officials in Afghanistan on Monday to attempt to stop a recent wave of attacks by Afghan soldiers and police against international forces in the country.

Once an anomaly, attacks from inside the Afghan security forces have been climbing in recent months. There have been 30 such attacks so far this year, up from 11 in 2011.

rmy Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, landed at Bagram Air Field outside Kabul earlier in the day. Dempsey and the commander of U.S. Central Command, Marine Gen. James R. Mattis, met with NATO and U.S. Afghan commander Gen. John Allen in Kabul and discussed the progress of the Afghanistan campaign, a statement issued by the coalition said.

Allen said in the statement that they discussed “how to maintain momentum against the insurgents,” adding that international forces continued to support a push to train and equip Afghans in preparation of the departure of most international combat forces at the end of 2014.

“The campaign remains on track,” Allen said in the statement.

Dempsey and Mattis also met with a number of senior Afghan and coalition leaders, the statement said.

Ahead of the talks, a spokesman for international forces in Afghanistan said Dempsey would be bringing up the rising number of attacks by Afghan forces in his discussions.

“He’s certainly talking about a number of issues including progress with the (military) campaign and the like,” Jamie Graybeal said. “He’s also obviously talking about the insider attacks,” he added, declining to provide further details.


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.